Saturday, August 22, 2009

Masters of buoyancy

It's the ball to the boot of peninsular Malaysia - the country's Sicily if you will. The island of Tioman is a 90-minute ferry ride from the costal town of Mersing. Kate and I packed our courage to brave the deep and investigate the wrecks and wildlife of the island's extensive coral mantel.



With an longstanding fear of having her head underwater, Kate was a champ. After mastering equalization problems in her ears (known as a "squeeze", she descended swimmingly to 30 meters (100 feet). There we were greeted by sunken fishing vessels, rays, sea slugs, hawksbill turtles, brain coral, and fishes of overwhelming variety.

But it was not all underwater sightseeing. We were there on a mission to secure our advanced diver certification. And that is what we did. Two days of theory and three days of dive after dive, we made it - thanks to a great guide and a little Actifed.

Here are a few shots of the course, the tribulations, and the rewards:

3 comments:

Three Four said...

What a great adventure! Please send my biggest congrats to Katie, I don't know if I could of gone through with that one myself... if I did, I would of drank all ya'lls Foster beers!

Three Four said...

Me=Corey

Unknown said...

I am so very, very jealous.......suddenly the zebra mussel infested waters of Lake Erie don't seem as thrilling